Monday, May 12, 2014

Thailand Day 11: Back in Bangkok

I was awoken by the ticket agent as we pulled into Bangkok. It was just before seven and the sun was already blazing. I climbed out of my bunk as the workers went through the car with expert precision gathering up the night's blankets and quickly turning the bunks back into seats. I watched as the train pulled through the city. It looked less glamorous from the train window compared to when I first arrived over a week ago.

I made my way from the main station to my Hotel, returning again to the Shanghai Mansion in China Town. After dropping off my bags at the hotel I left them there and made my way up to MOCA, the contemporary art museum. My concierge try to dissuade me, but based on several blogs I had read I was determined to check this place out.  It took my cab a little to find it. Its up in the North of the city, not too far from the Chatuchak Market.  There's not much around it. I got there a little early and had to wait for it to open, the security guards seemed shocked that I was there. This museum although new, and world class isn't on any major travel site, brochures or tours. But if you make your way to Bangkok, it worth checking out. It showcases amazing art from Thai artists, as well as other artists from the region. There's 6 floors featuring amazing art, that ranges from beautiful to jarring, though provoking and insightful.
Court yard outside of the gallery
After my 2 hours there I had one of the people at the front desk call me a cab (because there were none around, there is actually nothing in that area) and I made my way to Chatuchuck Weekend Market.

I of course had chosen one of the hottest days to make my way through the giant maze of a market. I'm pretty sure 80% of my time I was lost, trying to make my way to various areas that I was told I must visit. I spent far too long wandering around the furniture section trying to figure out how to get over to the clothing area. Note for future travellers: the lonely planet map of Chatuchuck is useless. Several hours later I had picked up a couple of things, none of which where on my list of "things I want from Chatuchuck". My attempt to buy nice ceramic table setting were meet with a lady unwilling to negotiate on price and then refused to honour the sticker price on the bowls. After wards I realized the $4.50 a bowl isn't that much, and I could have paid the extra $1.50 than what the sticker had advertised. But it was the principle of the matter, and if you say its 100 baht a bowl, you better give me it for that. I was tired, super sweaty, and probably dehydrated. So three hours in I gave up, the attempted to find an exit. Which took me another half hour. 

The whole subway ride back to my hotel clutching my purchases all I could think was I can't wait until I can take a shower and a nap. 

I spent my last night in Bangkok at the food market out side of my hotel. Various pork buns, noodles all washed down with pomegranate juice. After I got my self an ice cream bar, made my way to my hotel room where I repacked, made sure I had my plane tickets and watched the last half of the movie the Mexican. 

No comments:

Post a Comment