Sunday, April 27, 2014

Day 6: River Rafting


Our day started out with once again with me being served an overly large breakfast. Who eats half a pineapple, 4 eggs and six pieces of toast for breakfast? And really who would think by looking at me that I could eat that much? Oh well there was lots of left overs and my guide once again looked frustrated. 

I meet up with the others and we went down to the rafts. My guide did not look happy about taking on two others but we went on our way. As it turns out between when I left the group last night and when I reappeared the French/British couple had gotten into a fight, which just lead to a very long and awkward raft ride. 



My guide kept on insisting that the British guy pole in the rear, the problem was he wasn't very good, and he admittedly knew that. Having never done anything boating related this was a first for him, and perhaps rapids, with a guide who doesn't speak english and girl who angry with you wasn't the best environment to learn. So we kept steering into rocks, and then he would hand the pole off to me and I would then resume make sure we stayed on the correct course, then my guide would look back, happy that we were doing alright and then notice it was me holding the pole, his brow would furrow and would then say "No, man." and point to the british guy.  I would then try to tell him it was okay, but he would remain upset and sometimes stop the raft until the pole was returned to in his mind the rightful owner. We would exchange looks and hope for the best as I sat on the raft and try to point to the direction he should be pushing. Eventually he would give up and hand it back to me and we would start the fun ordeal all over again. 






As we got further down the river it was clear that we had left behind the others in the group. Good luck to us trying to tell my guide that we should stop and wait for them. He was determined to get us there as fast as possible it seemed, where ever there was.  The day was hot but the water offered some nice relief when needed. The scenery was beautiful, with jungle stretching out over the stream, on the banks we would see water buffalo and hear the calls of various birds. In the shallows there were cranes and colourful dragon flies danced above the surface of the water. The serenity would then be interrupted with fast paced rapids, where a keen eye and quick direction changes kept us from hitting the rocks. I enjoyed my time poling along the river. The company wasn't exactly what I had hoped for. But it made sense that the end of this journey would be the same as it started, in silence. 



By two o'clock we came to a several huts on the side of the river, my guide pulled over and told us to get off, in his awkward non-eglish speaking way. But what it turned out he was saying was for the British/French couple to get off. He unhooked their bags from the tripod and put them on the banks. And then he told me to come back on the raft. We were to leave them. There was no arguing with him. The other rafts were behind us somewhere. There was a very rushed conversation of "Where are you going?" "I don't know." "Are you going to be ok." "Yeah. Are you guys ok." "I guess" and then we were down the river as we were still shouting our goodbyes. 

Five minutes later we arrive at a different hut/restaurant where we get off and he takes me inside where I drop off my stuff on a bench and make my way to the washroom with a change of clothes. I was upset with my guide. I understand that each person want to support their friends business, but at the same time I was hopeful of meeting up with the others group and possibly making plans to see things together the next day in Chiang Mai. And now they were gone. I went back to the table where there was a large plate of Pad Thai waiting for me. It was inferior compared to what I had at the market several nights ago. But the drinks came from a fridge and were cold. My guide sat with a table of locals as they laughed and joke and share what I assume was rice whiskey. Our driver came and we took a long quite car ride back to Chiang Mai. Songkran had started and many of the roads in Chiang Mai where shut down for the nation wide water fight that was taking place. When we got back to my hotel I was exhausted and could not wait for a hot shower. I said my goodbyes to my guide which were quick and hurried once again because of my disappointment and our language barrier. 

I the front desk gave me my room key and my large bag, after showering I dropped off my clothes that needed to go to laundry (hey it was only $1.50) and then headed to the pool. I found the only english book in the take one, leave one pile, which happened to be about a brothel in early twentieth century rural China. It wasn't good, but it was something to read. I watched as people trailed in soaked head to toe from the water festival. It was getting dark and I was hungry and could use a massage after my river rafting, elephant riding, mountain hiking past could of days. I quickly got changed grabbed some money and headed out of the hotel. As soon as I got past the gate I was doused with a bucket of water followed by a "Happy New Year" shout by two small kids. There was no avoiding it, everywhere you looked down the street there were still people with hoses, buckets and water guns. I was going to get wet. I walked into a restaurant sat at the bar as a puddle formed below me. I looked at the menu and there were plenty of good Thai options, but what caught my eye was the bacon cheese burger that boasted Australian beef.  Its been a while since I had a good burger so I ordered one. I was joined shortly by a retired Australian engineer who was traveling Thailand as a retirement gift to himself. The thing is he got to Chiang Mai and just hasn't seem to have left for the past month. I tried not to make my usual older man in south east asia judgements. He proved to be good company as we talked about our travels and experiences. I paid my bill and headed back to my hotel. I gave up on the massage as I didn't feel like heading into the heart of the city and water fight to find a spa that looked respectable. I feel asleep fast, with little idea of what I was going to do tomorrow only knowing I had to check out at noon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment